Monday, February 12, 2007

in which i require some help

dear everyone,

i was just checking my sitemeter thing-thing (which only works 40% of the time and i have no idea why) when i saw that a few minutes ago someone came to my blog from here.

i have no idea what that is, but it seems to be talking about my blog.
does anyone know what this is?
if so, could you please explain it to me?

while i'm at it, i should probably ask someone to tell me what an rss feed is, too, because i also have no idea what that might be, but i keep seeing it around accompanied by various linky-button type things, and so i guess it might be important. or something.

yes, i know how to turn on my computer. why do you ask?

thanks for you help,
tiffany

7 Comments:

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Ok that is just creepy weird. I had no idea that something like that existed.

1:32 AM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Blogshares is a sort of blogging stock market. People get imaginary "shares" that they can "invest" in certain blogs. As the popularity of a blogsite rises of falls (measured by, I think, incoming links, outgoing links, and site visits), the "value" of the site goes up and down. However, these fluctuations in value tend to have no connection to what is actually going on on your site.

Someone did the same thing to me a few years ago, and I think she may be the sole investor.

It's nothing, really, just a dumb game some people play. I've seen comments about people quitting it because it's become too "political". I have no idea what that means in the context of this game, and I have no interest in finding out.

As for RSS feeds, they're a nifty way of finding out when a site has been updated. I don't know how to get them to work in IE, but Firefox has an RSS feed reader built into its "live bookmarks". If you're using an RSS feed, you can see whenever a new post is posted without actually having to navigate to the site.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

RSS feed is the thing on the bottom of the page that says subscribe to this blog ATOM.
the other thing...no clue!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jen!! said...

i was totally gonna help, but db echo beat me to it.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

So what is this "computer" of which you speak? I swear I've heard the word somewhere...

12:15 PM  
Blogger trashycamaro said...

That is interesting...you could use that system to find "the popular" blogs and the "up and comers."

It is interesting from a business view as markets tend to reflect the environment.

But it is still rather funny that someone actually made that.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Mary Flannery-Scientist said...

Fantasy football for people who are too geeky to even play computer football.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home